Search

    M

    A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  XYZ

    Mash:

    To break up into finer, smoother pieces by pressing with back of a spoon, a masher or ricer.
    

    Margarine:

    Developed as a butter substitute in the late 1800s, margarine is 80 percent vegetable oil that is partially hydrogenated to hold a solid form. The remaining 20 percent is liquids, flavoring, coloring, and other additives. Margarine may be salted or unsalted. 
    

    Marshmallow cream:

    A sweet, light, fluffy, fat-free marshmallow-flavored mixture used as an ingredient in candy, pie, dip and dessert recipes providing creamy texture and marshmallow flavour.
    

    Meal:

    Grain or seeds milled or ground more coarsely than flour.
    

    Measuring cups & spoons:

    Containers or spoons that come in graduated sizes and are used to accurately measure dry or liquid ingredients when cooking or baking.
    

    Melt:

     Heating a solid food such as butter or sugar until it is liquid.
    

    Melting point:

    The temperature at which a fat or chocolate will begin changing from a solid to a liquid state.
    

    Meringue:

    Stiffly beaten egg white and granulated sugar that may be soft or baked hard. Sugar must be beaten into the egg whites one tablespoon at a time to dissolve and produce a
    smooth meringue.
    

    Milk chocolate:

    Sweetened dark chocolate (at least 10 percent chocolate liquor) with additional milk solids (at least 12 percent).
    

    Millet flour:

    Finely ground flour from whole millet; a starchy, low-gluten flour with a texture similar to rice flour.
    

    Mill:

    A grain food processing facility producing grain food products such as flour, meal, germ, bran, rolled grains, bulgur, baking mixes, cereals and a variety of other grain-based products.
    

    Mince:

    To cut or chop into very small pieces.
    

    Mineral:

    A solid substance formed in the earth that is not animal or vegetable.
    

    Mis en place:

    (Pronounced mee zon plahs)—have all ingredients and equipment in place before preparing a recipe.
    

    Mix:

    To combine two ingredients by stirring or in way that makes two or more foods appear as one.
    

    Mix:

    With yeast dough, refers to four stages—pick-up period, preliminary development, elasticity development, and final gluten development.
    Stirring, usually with a spoon, until the ingredients are well-combined (no individual ingredients can be seen or identified).
    

    Mixing:

    To combine two ingredients by stirring or in way that makes two or more foods appear as one.
    

    Moisten:

    To make moist by adding, brushing or sprinkling with a liquid.
    

    Molding:

    Follows intermediate proof—dough must be relaxed—final shaping step where dough is flattened (sheeted) or shaped for loaves, braids, rolls, twists.
    

    Muffin:

     Small, cake-like sweet or savory leavened breads.
    

    Multi-grain:

    Flour, meal, cereal or any grain food using two or more grains.